Renee and I built and replaced the ceiling vent screen. The old one was brittle and fell apart after 40 plus years of use. Here is what we did.
- measured the old screen as a template
- cut out a solid square of .5 plywood with table saw
- cut 4 groves into the square .20 wide for the screen rubber gasket .125 deep
- polyurethaned the plywood for water proofing
- fitted the screen (Renee did most of the work)
- fitted the finished frame and screen into the existing space
- drilled holes for the shelf brackets so the screen can come in and out